So a month or so ago I made a post about Eurovision and said I would do an update of my thoughts and opinions on winners when it got closer to the final. Today is that day! I’ve taken a week off my usual Saturday posts of ‘Goal for the Week’ to bring you my Top 10 (in order) grand final result. Here they are;
- Italy; wasn’t in my top anything until a few weeks ago, but I kept listening to it and understood the message more and more. I think this will be the winner, especially in a year where the theme is ‘celebrate diversity’, it should definitely be a song sung in a native language
- Portugal; LOVE Salvador! I’ve been watching him in interviews and he’s so genuine and beautiful, I’ve seen a hashtag going around #Salvadorable makes me laugh. This song is one of the most beautiful songs I’ve ever heard so props to Luisa his sister too. I wouldn’t mind this one coming first either.
- Denmark; Anja – another Aussie in the mix, this was my number 1 two months ago, still really love it and think it’s a top 3.
- Hungary; another native sung song and another one which was in my top 3 two months ago. I love the gypsy-esq sound and the emotion. I’d like this to be in the top 5 so I’m giving it 4th place.
- France; I don’t remember ever being a fan of previous French entries but this one sounds very Parisian, if that’s even a thing. I feel like I’m walking the streets of Paris when I hear it.
- Bulgaria; I haven’t really heard it too much, but know it’s catchy and a favourite so I’m giving it a spot here at 6.
- Cyprus; Gravity is so good! If it was any other year I would say it would make the top 5 but I think the ‘celebrate diversity’ tagline will see someone else win it. It’s really catchy and great stage performance I think.
- Sweden; Catchy + Sweden always = top 10. I don’t like the use of the word ‘freaken’ in the song, I think it takes away from the song but it’s still a good song and will certainly be top 10.
- Azerbaijan; A little dark and quirky is always a good mix for Eurovision, they’ve won it before and will do well in the final but I don’t think they’ll win it.
- Belgium; Great song, but the girl is so nervous on stage so it detracts a little from the song.I think the points will come but in a vast range.
So there they are, if I could add an eleven and twelve they’d be 11. Belarus and 12. Australia. I think Australia will lose some points because of not reaching the notes on the first semi-final but we’ll see! Good luck to all the contestants.
Let me know who your favourites are and your top 10!
“Se um dia alguém, perguntar por mim, diz que vivi para te amar”
– Salvador Sobral